Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Naturalized Digital Citizenship...

I am a Naturalized Digital Immigrant!

The following is an adaptation of the United States Oath of Allegiance taken by all immigrants who wish to become naturalized citizens of the United States upon passing through the appropriate channels.  This is a version for digital immigrants.  While its recitation is not imperative for becoming naturalized citizens of the technological state, our actions are demonstrative and indicative of the promise we make through our growing use and dependence on technology and new media.
I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any primitive tool to which I have hencetofore been a subject; that I will support and defend the advancement and innovation of the technological state; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will construct my identity as a part of this new digital age; and I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me Jobs.
Considering Prensky’s (2001) definitions of Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants, I did not have a hard time deciding that I was a Digital Immigrant.  I was not “born into the digital world” but as a student, and with the advent of the Apple IPhone, I have definitely “become fascinated by and adopted many or most aspects of new technology.”  As Dr. Barrios so aptly stated in my class on the night of October 16th, 2012, we are, in fact, living in an Apple Ecosystem; however, as technologically savvy as I would like to think I am, because I consider myself a digital immigrant, I often find myself restricted by technology.  I cannot effortlessly go forth and start using new media or technology without first learning it – sometimes several times.  While the World Wide Web opens me up to endless possibilities with regard to the acquisition of information, sometimes it can be a difficult place to navigate.  Moreover, with technological innovations knocking on every classroom door it is difficult not to incorporate technology into our teaching and learning.  Although pencils and paper may never become obsolete, a stylus and a tablet is certainly the way of the future.
I like to think of myself as a self-directed learner; someone who takes the initiative and responsibility for regulating -- “planning, implementing, and evaluating” (Hiemstra, 1994) -- my own progress on a lesson.  As the world becomes more fascinated with technology and society moves into a new dimension of functional literacy, in which technology holds great weight, I do not feel as though my capacity to be a self-directed learner has been retarded in anyway.  Being a digital immigrant kicks my tendency toward self-directed learning into overdrive.  This is because in addition to familiarizing myself with the new learning concept, I am also compelled to master the new technology. 
For example, my experiences with the new media project for this class have shown me just how determined, and self-directed, albeit stubborn, I really am as a student.  Working with the concept of a webquest, I first had to learn about webquests in general.  Moving forward into actually creating a webquest, I had to familiarize myself with a lesson and curriculum that would accommodate this type of teaching tool.  Upon doing that I decided that Prezi was my medium of choice for increasing the interactive-ness of this tool – sure a word document or powerpoint presentation may have done the job just fine, but I decided to challenge myself with yet another piece of new media.  To make a long story short, there was a lot going on here.  Without having completed the actual project I was swimming in learning concepts associated with it before it manifested itself physically.

Neil Flemming provided a model for categorizing learning styles in which he identified three types of learners:  visual, auditory, and kinesthetic/tactile.  According to Flemming, visual learners “think in pictures”, they use visual aids to facilitate their learning; auditory learners best acquire information by listening; and kinesthetic/tactile learners are best engaged through exploration and experience – moving, touching, doing.   I used to pride myself on being a visual learner (for the most part).  Put something in front of me to read and I was good to go, words were my friends.  But now I realize that as technology advances into education, I am becoming more and more of a kinesthetic/tactile learner – I need to do in an order to learn.  It is no longer enough for me to see or hear something in an effort to process or grasp an understanding of it.  I need to touch it.  I need to explore it.  I need to experience it.  I am becoming a new type of learner because of the evolution of functional literacy vis a vis technology.  I am still a self-directed learner because I believe this is a part of my learning personality, but I am learning differently because of the changing forms/embodiment of information.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment