Friday, September 7, 2012

About Anala...

Just a little note about me…

The picture to your left is one that I think embodies my academic journey thus far. While this image only includes ideas and theorist related to critical pedagogy it is demonstrative of the hodgepodge of ideas that make up my academic philosophy. 
 
Because my last post was related to the topic of discussion for the Tech/Rhet course that inspired the creation of this blog I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself before I express myself any further.  My name is Anala Singh.  I am a graduate student at Florida Atlantic University working toward my Doctorate in Philosophy in Education.  I have been in school for at least ten years after high school and I still do not know what I’d like to be when I grow up.  As an undergraduate student at the University of Florida (GO GATORS) I earned a degree in English in 2005 and developed an interest in Caribbean Literature, focusing on the work of V.S. Naipaul and his depiction of postcolonial society on the island of Trinidad.  In 2007 I earned a Master of Education degree from Florida Atlantic University in Educational Leadership in hopes of becoming a school principal.  I had never taught before, but the field of education seemed like a promising avenue towards a career for an English major. 

As I completed my coursework toward my Master’s degree I began to cultivate my interest in curriculum and curriculum development.  During my Curriculum Leadership course my professor introduced me to the philosophy of cultural literacy by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. and his book Cultural Literacy:  What Every American Needs to Know (1987).  At this point I did not consider a career in academia, Hirsch’s philosophy simply demonstrated for me how many commonplace things America’s students should know, but do not.  Moreover, at the time I was introduced to Hirsch’s book it was 2007, twenty years since it had been published.  There was no doubt that this list had grown since the publication of this book and that in some way our students still were not up to speed.  Upon graduation I began working with an FCAT Preparatory course for Kaplan K-12 Learning Services.  Thus, my teaching experience was born.  I taught for eleven weeks, the length of this pilot program which was never used in the district after this trial period.  A year later I began working with a grassroots organization centered on family literacy and my experiences here helped me to develop a passion for teaching and learning.  Through this program I was introduced to a more specialized kind of education that worked toward the betterment of individuals and society through education.  In between these jobs I applied to the doctoral program at Florida Atlantic University was admitted and my academic journey took on varying dimensions of critical theory and pedagogy.  My coursework and professors exposed me to ideas and philosophies that I enjoyed, but could not begin to comprehend.  Three years later I am beginning to get a handle on my academic philosophy and understanding how to apply it to certain areas within the field of education. 

My research interest centers on the acculturation of South Asian students from the Caribbean living in the United States.  I want to learn more about what these children and students know about their ethnic culture and how education/educators can fill any holes in their cultural development.  This interest developed from my affinity for Caribbean literature, exposure to the philosophy of cultural literacy, and desire to marry my Educational Leadership degree with my degree in Curriculum & Instruction bridging the gap between administration and instruction.  It is truly my belief that more sustainable changes can occur through (cultural) understanding than mere tolerance.          

1 comment:

  1. Anala

    I realize this wasn't the point of your post, but you just gave me a fantastic idea!

    I've used word clouds in other courses (particularly in discussions of visual rhetoric) and I realize how appropriate and interesting it might be to use them in this course.

    At some point, I might ask everyone to make a word cloud or a Wordle of some or all of their blog posts. I've done it with some of my academic papers and seeing the word frequencies laid out visually was really interesting to me! (What was particularly interesting was doing a Wordle of a paper in early draft stage and then comparing it to a "finished" piece).

    Thanks for the idea!

    As for your post, it makes me love this blogging assignment already. It's fantastic to learn about the path that brought you to the grad program here at FAU. What a history!

    I've always been interested in critical pedagogy and cultural studies (their intersections) and I'll be interested to see how your passions and experiences shape your thoughts on the various issues we'll be working with in class.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete